Monday, April 16, 2012

Swirls!

Often I am asked to make a sweet treat, but since I have a small family, making a cake or batch of cupcakes tends to go wasted after the first day or two.  I guess it's not just our family-size, we're also not big sweet tooths, but, it is nice to satisfy that craving once in awhile.  The thing of it is, halving recipes, or throwing out extras, is not as fun as sharing, so when I know of an upcoming social event, I'll make that sweet treat, set aside some for us, and then offer the rest out.  This happened recently, so I dug out a recipe I was looking forward to experimenting with.  It was a berry cheesecake swirl, which called for blueberries - but when I went to the market, blackberries were on sale, so I made it with them.

I found the recipe at this blog : Baked By Bree which I tweaked, slightly.

Ingredients
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • 1 cup berries (calls for blueberries, I used blackberries)
  • 1/4 cup juice (calls for orange, I used passion fruit)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 (8-ounce) cream cheese at room temperature
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions
  1. Put the sugar, cornstarch, juice, and berries in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until it is thickened and has come to a bubble. Take off the heat and set aside.
  2. Mix the flour, powdered sugar, and butter by hand or in the mixer until it comes together.
  3. It will be crumbly.
  4. Press into a foil or parchment lined 9×13 pan. Bake for 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.
  5. While the crust is cooking, cream together the cream cheese and sugar. Add the flour. Add the eggs, vanilla.
  6. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the hot crust.
  7. Spoon the reserved berries over the cream cheese mixture.
  8. Take a knife and swirl the blueberries throughout the cream cheese.
  9. Put the pan back into the 350 degree oven and bake for another 20 minutes or until the bars are set.
  10. Let the pan cool on a rack for an hour. Then put the bars back into the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
  11. Cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar.
I tested, and then shared .. mmm!






Insight :: Rustic Benches Studio

No comments:

Post a Comment