Sunday, February 12, 2012

Sunday Scrumptous!

One of my favorite foods in the whole wide world is avacado.  It is a super food, and it is my super food.  There is that moment of perfect ripeness where I can just eat it right out of the skin, buttery and delicious.  It can be as simple as that, or mash it up with a teeny bit of sour cream and scoop it with blue corn chips for a midnight snack.  I always put avacado in burritos, sushi and sandwiches, as long as I have some around.  Recently, I found this great picture online for a grilled avacado sandwich, and while I tweaked the ingredients, the premise was the same.  I think the type of bread is super important, so in my version, I had baked some cuban bread the day before, so I sliced a few pieces of it and buttered the outsides.  

Then I placed one, butter side down, on a warm fry pan.  The fun part, building my sandwich...cheese first, use anything that's tasty, but quick melters are probably best.  I've used gouda, mozarella, and marbled cheddar.  Then a thin slice of salami, topped with ripe avacado and another thin layer of cheese.  On top goes the second slice of bread, butter side up.  With flipper in hand, pay attention to the grill, cause it warms the sandwich quickly on medium heat.  Once the bottom starts to sear, and you can smell it, flip it.  

Be careful not to lose your contents!  Give it another few minutes on the other side, and again, do not leave your sandwich for any length of time.  Any small distraction and you will have a burnt sandwich; in my case, I will still eat it, but it's not as pleasant as the perfectly grilled alternative.   Here I complimented it with some split pea soup that I had made earlier in the week.  Talk about comfort food ... heavenly.!

Insight :: RB Studio



No comments:

Post a Comment